The Hughson Fire Protection District was established in 1915 as an all-volunteer fire district that protected mostly rural homes and property in the eastern portion of Stanislaus County, California. The district has proudly served the citizens of Hughson for over 100 years. The district consists of 35 square miles, including the City of Hughson, with a combined total population of approximately, 10,000 residents.
The Hughson Fire Protection District is an all-risk fire department with a current staffing structure that embraces the combination style department, utilizing paid and volunteer staff. One full-time Fire Chief, who reports directly to the board of Directors, leads the department. The Board of Directors is comprised of five community elected officials that are stipend paid quarterly for their service in overseeing the administrative and financial solubility of the fire district.
The Hughson Fire Protection District operates out of one station in downtown Hughson, California. The district maintains several classes of emergency response apparatus to meet the needs of the specific target hazards that exist within the district. The District currently has 3 type 1 Fire Engines, 1 type 6 Fire Engine, 1 Water Tender, 1 Fire Rescue Boat, and two Command Vehicles. The fire District responds to approximately 850 calls for service a year, with that number steadily increasing every year.